Push for Podium Continues in Singapore
Canadian gymnasts and paddlers continued on the road towards the podium Tuesday in Singapore, as sailing, diving and equestrian events continued for Canada.
Gymnastics: The Canadian rhythmic gymnastics team finished fourth in the qualifying round of the group all-around competition, competing in the hoop and ribbon disciplines. They move on to the final round Wednesday night at the Bishan Sport Hall. “Our hoop was good. We still need to work on some things for the final,” said Katrina Cameron (Mississauga, Ont.). Teammate Maria Kitkarska (Montreal) qualified 11th in the individual competition, competing in rope, hoop, ball and clubs disciplines. “I’m really happy with my performance in ball and in clubs. I’m proud I did my best,” said Kitkarska.
Equestrian: Dominique Shone (Langley, B.C.) finished ninth in the individual jumping competition. Entering the final round with a nine-way tie for first after a clean ride in the first round, Shone and horse Roxy Girl hit two barriers, counting eight penalty points. “I felt good going into the last round—definitely had a chance for gold,” Shone said.
Canoe-Kayak: Canoeist Hayden Daniels (Calgary) and kayaker Jazmyne Denhollander (Chilliwack, B.C.) both won their first two head-to-head matchups in the intriguing obstacle slalom competition. Daniels eliminated Timofey Yemelyanov (KAZ) in the first round, moving directly to the third round, where he beat Cardenas Sacerio (CUB). Denhollander beat out Kerry Segall (RSA) in the first round and Mariya Kichasova (UKR) in Round 3, after her second-round bye.
• Hayden Daniels – C-1 Obstacle Slalom – Round 3 – Win vs. Cardenas Sacerio (CUB)
• Jazmyne Denhollander – K-1 Obstacle Slalom – Round 3 – Win vs. Mariya Kichasova (UKR)
• Marc Sabourin-Germain – 10 m Platform – Final – 8th
• Dominique Shone – Individual Jumping – Final – 9th (8 penalties)
Gymnastics – Rhythmic
• Katrina Cameron, Melodie Omidi, Anjelika Reznik, Victoria Reznik – Group All-Around – Qualifying – 4th (41.150 – Advance to Final)
• Maria Kitkarska – Individual All-Around – Qualifying – 11th (87.050)
• Audrey Caron – Windsurfing – 11/16 races – Race 9: 14th; Race 10: 17th
• Sarah Douglas – One-Person Dinghy – 11/16 races – Race 9: 11th; Race 10: 4th; Race 11: OCS